Tim Luimes (1995) is a freelance investigative journalist and a member of The Investigative Desk. He works mainly on large journalism projects, with multiple international cooperation partners. Tim specialises in investigating the lobbying of industrial multinationals in Brussels, with a focus on tobacco, pesticide and chemical companies. His work has been nominated twice for the journalism award The Golden Freelancer, and was published at NRC, Follow The Money, De Groene Amsterdammer, Vrij Nederland, Knack and Le Monde.
Europe wants to ban all pfas at once. The chemical industry is lobbying for the exemption of fluoropolymers. These substances, a type of plastics, are
The UN conference on stricter tobacco policy has fizzled out. ‘Milestone’: a minuscule fund to help poor countries getting rid of tobacco. Internation
An investigation by “Le Monde” and “The Investigative Desk” (Netherlands) reveals the alliance between the tobacco lobby and the networks of American
Scientists and activists were euphoric when the EU banned the extremely harmful neonic pesticides in 2018. During the next three years, sixteen EU cou
Dairy multinational FrieslandCampina finances ‘independent’ science, but only if it leads to increased milk production
FrieslandCampina is the largest private funder of dairy science at Wageningen University & Research, the world’s top agricultural university, base
The Foundation for a Smoke-Free World claims to strive for a ‘smoke-free world’. In reality, founder and financier Philip Morris uses the foundation t
Wageningen University & Research (WUR) takes pride in its excellent relations with the food and agriculture industry. It is particularly close wit
Tobacco manufacturer Philip Morris conducts a sophisticated lobby in the Netherlands, using a meticulous international step-by-step plan. Yet it still
Research by The Investigative Desk has shown that the tobacco industry, by using its contacts in the biggest party in the Dutch government coalition,
- Derek Yach: Project Unthinkable: a doctor’s gamble to save millions of lives, Barlow Publishing, 2018.
- Derek Yach: WHO Consultation on Litigation and Public Inquiries as Public Health Tools for Tobacco Control, 2001: https://www.who.int/tobacco/dy_speeches8/en/
- R. Auer, N. Concha-Lozano, I. Jacot-Sadowski, J Cornuz, A. Berthet: ‘Heat-Not-Burn Tobacco Cigarettes: Smoke by Any Other Name’, in JAMA Internal Medecine 2017 / 177(7):1050–2.
- The figures provided by Philip Morris did not say enough about user behaviour, long-term effects and the possible effects of exposure to substances that were actually found in higher concentrations at the IQOS.
- PMI Science: Tobacco harm reduction: An excerpt from Scientific Update 10: https://www.pmiscience.com/whats-new/tobacco-harm-reduction-heated-tobacco-FAQ
- Pledge agreement: 2017.09.12 FSFW | Executive Summary Pledge Agreement.
- See Sa’ed, H. Zyoud, Samah W. Al-Jabi, and Waleed M. Sweileh. ‘Worldwide research productivity in the field of electronic cigarette: a bibliometric analysis’, in BMC Public Health 14.1, 2014. https://bmcpublichealth.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/1471-2458-14-667/tables/6
- See this Excel-sheet: https://tobaccotactics.org/wp-content/uploads/2020/08/FSFW-Grantees-post-strategic-update.xlsx
- Jean-Francois Etter, ‘The Foundation for a Smoke-Free World after two years: can it be trusted?’, in: Qeios, 2020. https://doi.org/10.32388/JHYV33
- The parent company of Philip Morris USA. Altria has the exclusive licence to sell the IQOS in the US.
- Foundation for a Smoke-Free World: Return of Private Foundation OMB No. 1545-0052 Form 990-PF or Section 4947(a)(1) Trust Treated as Private Foundation: https://www.smokefreeworld.org/sites/default/files/uploads/documents/fsfw_2018_form_990-pf_public_inspection.pdf
- ‘Op weg naar een rookvrij Nederland’, Philip Morris Holland BV (2018); Innovatie rookloze producten en schadebeperking van tabaksgebruik: brief aan Thematafel Tabak, Nationaal Preventieakkoord.
- Brian E. Erkkila, Patricia I. Kovacevic, Derek Yach: ‘Restricting Flavors in ENDS Could Have Repercussions Beyond Youths’ Use’, in: American journal of public health, 110.6 (2020): 777-778: https://ajph.aphapublications.org/doi/full/10.2105/AJPH.2020.305674
- PJ Landrigan et al.: ‘Urgent message to APHA Executive Board and AJPH Editorial Board’, 2021.https://rightoncanada.ca/wp-content/uploads/2021/02/Urgent-message-to-APHA-Executive-Board-and-AJPH-Editorial-Board-2021-01-05.pdf
- Interview with Ruth Malone by Stéphane Horel, op 3 maart 2021.
- The Argentinean Asociación Argentina de Servicios y Estudios Médicos de Avanzada, The Pakistani 'Alternative Research Initiative and the umbrella organisation of International Network of Nicotine Consumer Organisations all received an unknown amount of the FSW. https://archive.is/BeUVB
- D.B. Abrams et al.: ‘Tobacco Harm Reduction and the Dutch National Prevention Agreement: Letter from 36 International Experts and Academics’, in Tobacco Control, 2019.