The Dutch government is lobbying for business opportunities in the Arctic region, but at the same time is trying to work with scientists to protect th
Gazprom suddenly announced it would ‘cease participation’ in several European subsidiaries. The announcement surprised friend and foe alike. It was th
Dutch companies dredge, drill, sail and haul in the Arctic. The enormous energy projects that Russian state-owned companies are rolling out along the
The control room of Turk Stream, the southern brother of the controversial Nord Stream 2 gas pipeline, is located above a Coolblue shop on the Amsterd
Dutch local authorities want to terminate their supply contract with Gazprom. Last year, The Investigative Desk and Follow The Money revealed that ove
The UN conference on stricter tobacco policy has fizzled out. ‘Milestone’: a minuscule fund to help poor countries getting rid of tobacco. Internation
An investigation by “Le Monde” and “The Investigative Desk” (Netherlands) reveals the alliance between the tobacco lobby and the networks of American
With a sophisticated lobby, oil company Royal Dutch Shell influenced the political position of the Netherlands on Nord Stream 2, The Investigative Des
Dutch PM Rutte informs House of Representatives ‘incorrectly and incompletely’ about gas contacts with Russia
The Dutch and Russian governments regularly discuss energy projects. The Working Party on Energy, which had been suspended in 2014 after the shooting
The Foundation for a Smoke-Free World claims to strive for a ‘smoke-free world’. In reality, founder and financier Philip Morris uses the foundation t
When flight MH17 was downed by a Russian missile in 2014, the Netherlands froze diplomatic and trade relations with Russia. At least, to the outside w
A cross-border investigation uncovered how COVID-19 is used a marketing opportunity for the tobacco industry. For decades the tobacco industry casted
Tobacco manufacturer Philip Morris conducts a sophisticated lobby in the Netherlands, using a meticulous international step-by-step plan. Yet it still
Research by The Investigative Desk has shown that the tobacco industry, by using its contacts in the biggest party in the Dutch government coalition,
The Dutch government and energy firms finance research on renewable energy through the New Energy Coalition (NEC). The NEC’s turnover is expected to r
- Derek Yach: Project Unthinkable: a doctor’s gamble to save millions of lives, Barlow Publishing, 2018.
- Derek Yach: WHO Consultation on Litigation and Public Inquiries as Public Health Tools for Tobacco Control, 2001: https://www.who.int/tobacco/dy_speeches8/en/
- R. Auer, N. Concha-Lozano, I. Jacot-Sadowski, J Cornuz, A. Berthet: ‘Heat-Not-Burn Tobacco Cigarettes: Smoke by Any Other Name’, in JAMA Internal Medecine 2017 / 177(7):1050–2.
- The figures provided by Philip Morris did not say enough about user behaviour, long-term effects and the possible effects of exposure to substances that were actually found in higher concentrations at the IQOS.
- PMI Science: Tobacco harm reduction: An excerpt from Scientific Update 10: https://www.pmiscience.com/whats-new/tobacco-harm-reduction-heated-tobacco-FAQ
- Pledge agreement: 2017.09.12 FSFW | Executive Summary Pledge Agreement.
- See Sa’ed, H. Zyoud, Samah W. Al-Jabi, and Waleed M. Sweileh. ‘Worldwide research productivity in the field of electronic cigarette: a bibliometric analysis’, in BMC Public Health 14.1, 2014. https://bmcpublichealth.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/1471-2458-14-667/tables/6
- See this Excel-sheet: https://tobaccotactics.org/wp-content/uploads/2020/08/FSFW-Grantees-post-strategic-update.xlsx
- Jean-Francois Etter, ‘The Foundation for a Smoke-Free World after two years: can it be trusted?’, in: Qeios, 2020. https://doi.org/10.32388/JHYV33
- The parent company of Philip Morris USA. Altria has the exclusive licence to sell the IQOS in the US.
- Foundation for a Smoke-Free World: Return of Private Foundation OMB No. 1545-0052 Form 990-PF or Section 4947(a)(1) Trust Treated as Private Foundation: https://www.smokefreeworld.org/sites/default/files/uploads/documents/fsfw_2018_form_990-pf_public_inspection.pdf
- ‘Op weg naar een rookvrij Nederland’, Philip Morris Holland BV (2018); Innovatie rookloze producten en schadebeperking van tabaksgebruik: brief aan Thematafel Tabak, Nationaal Preventieakkoord.
- Brian E. Erkkila, Patricia I. Kovacevic, Derek Yach: ‘Restricting Flavors in ENDS Could Have Repercussions Beyond Youths’ Use’, in: American journal of public health, 110.6 (2020): 777-778: https://ajph.aphapublications.org/doi/full/10.2105/AJPH.2020.305674
- PJ Landrigan et al.: ‘Urgent message to APHA Executive Board and AJPH Editorial Board’, 2021.https://rightoncanada.ca/wp-content/uploads/2021/02/Urgent-message-to-APHA-Executive-Board-and-AJPH-Editorial-Board-2021-01-05.pdf
- Interview with Ruth Malone by Stéphane Horel, op 3 maart 2021.
- The Argentinean Asociación Argentina de Servicios y Estudios Médicos de Avanzada, The Pakistani 'Alternative Research Initiative and the umbrella organisation of International Network of Nicotine Consumer Organisations all received an unknown amount of the FSW. https://archive.is/BeUVB
- D.B. Abrams et al.: ‘Tobacco Harm Reduction and the Dutch National Prevention Agreement: Letter from 36 International Experts and Academics’, in Tobacco Control, 2019.